Sunday, June 14, 2009

Outlook Grim

When your three options are to break out in hives, break down in tears, or break something in a fit of rage, you know it's been a schrecklich (English wasn't enough here) couple days on the hill (and at the plate, for that matter). I'll say this much, the Detroit Tigers will not be in first place long if we continue to pitch and hit like this.

I really don't know what to say. Galarraga got knocked around like an arcade pinball yesterday, and Willis simply cannot convince the ball to stay in the same zip code as the strike zone. Nate Robertson will have me waking up screaming in the middle of the night with yesterday's performance--and today's? Well, I guess I can say he didn't surrender a grand slam.

It looks to me like Zach Miner will be getting a chance to start again. Although he hasn't copped an attitude (Brandon Inge and Nate Robertson--you could take a note from that), Zach is one guy who just might be entitled to do a little griping about the way he's been used. He'll get a chance now to grab a hold of a rotation spot, I would think.

We get runners in scoring position, and nothing...zippo, popup, GIDP, strikeout, take your stinking pick.

We're looking at interleague matchups against St. Louis, Milwaukee and Chicago. The Cards and Brewers are tied for first in the NL Central at 34-29. The Cubbies are 2.5 games back at .500, just lost two out of three to the Twinkies, but won today to help us retain a 3 game lead over MN. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like being reliant on another team for my baseball fortunes.

Well boys, use tomorrow's off day for some introspection, extra batting practice, or a heart-to-heart with Rick Knapp as appropriate to your personal situation.

No comments: