Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Mike Maroth Now Flying with the Jays

MLB.com reports that Mike Maroth has signed a minor league deal with the Toronto Blue Jays.  

Maroth is now 31, and only appeared in 3 minor league games last year (at AAA Omaha) due to a shoulder injury on his pitching arm.  Those three outings did not go well to the tune of a 12.91 ERA.

I'm wishing Mike all the best, since he endured a 21 loss season with the Tigers in 2003, and not just endured, but took the ball with class, not shying away from outings as the losses piled up, as he neared and ultimately eclipsed that 20 mark.  Sorry to bring up those dark days, which have now been replaced by even darker days.  At least in 2003, we were expected to stink it up.  The unrelenting shame of the 2008 season has not even begun to abate yet in my own heart.  I don't know about you, and I don't know about the players.  I hope each one is, as I blog, engaged in searing workouts, and probing searches of the soul.

Anyway, back to Maroth.  Mike has now spent six years in the majors, with really only the 2004 season standing out.  Best to him as he gets an invite to Spring Training with the Jay birds.

No comments: