Sunday, December 28, 2008

Another Rear View Rant

I wasn't blogging yet when the incident I'm about to write about occurred, but I was at the ballpark when it happened.

It was June 28, 2008.  Todd Jones had converted all 14 save opportunities so far in the 2008 season, and was 19 in a row going back into 2007.  Detroit was playing the Colorado Rockies, and Jones blew his first save by allowing four runs to score in the 9th, giving Colorado a 6-5 lead.  Todd Jones was roundly booed as he exited the game.

Miguel Cabrera bailed Jonesy out with a one-out, two-run, walk-off double in the bottom of the ninth to give the Tigers a 7-6 victory.

I was appalled at the fans who booed Jones.  It was his first blown save of the season in fifteen opportunities!  I wasn't sure whether the fans were ignorant of this stat, or just incredibly rude.  Maybe a little of both was the case.

Either way, I didn't think it was right.

Now, don't get me wrong, I've had my share of frustration with Jones.  I mean, his outings are mostly all kinds of ugly, but ultimately successful.  I personally resorted to chugging Maalox when the 9th approached in a save situation.  I cannot forget the night we gave up two four-run leads to lose to (Kansas City?).  I was watching on TV that night, and I couldn't sit down I was so jittery, and I remember yelling something like, "if Jones blows this lead, I'm gonna enroll in anger management classes tomorrow."  Sure enough, it happened, and I was madder than a Lions fan after 0-16.  Well, maybe not that mad, but...

Even given the blemish-filled nature of Jones' outings, I thought it was beyond ugly of the fans to boo his first blown save in 19 overall opportunities.  I felt embarrassed.

I realize that many people are simply at the game to drink some $8 beers, visit with friends, try to get on TV, pick up guys/chicks, eat some nachos -- basically do everything BUT watch the game.  That's OK with me, these people pay our players' salaries.  But if you know you're uninformed or drunk, please don't make all fans look bad with your loutish behavior.

Anyway, I know rude, ignorant fans can't be controlled, but doesn't Detroit have enough black eyes already?

No comments: