Monday, May 17, 2010

Swashbuckling Salemanship

Is it just me, or was anyone else disturbed to see that Captain Morgan threw out the first pitch at Comerica Park on Friday? I didn’t see the beginning of the game, but video of the ridiculous event was posted on mlb.com. Excuse me, but since when are fictitious mascots that hawk liquor eligible to throw out the ceremonial first pitch at a ballgame, and did The Captain Morgan Rum Company also pay to have the video posted online? I'm not giving them the satisfaction of linking to it, so you'll have to go to the Tigers web site if you want to see Alex Avila swapping caps with Captain Morgan and grinning like an idiot for a photo op.

I realize that clubs need to sell advertising space on outfield walls, and the naming of parks is now a commercial affair, but this seems like an utterly shameless infomercial foisted on ticketholders. Can I also buy the right to throw out the first pitch? Maybe they should just auction the privilege off for every game. I’m surprised we haven’t seen a parade of the deep-voiced Belle Tire character, Ronald McDonald, the Budweiser Clydesdales, and the stupid, jumpsuit-clad Labatt bimbos throwing out first pitches all year. Disgust.

2 comments:

John Parent said...

Hey, I like those stupid, jump-suit clad Labatt bimbos!

But I get your point and am also disturbed by this trend. But hey, whatever the Tigers can do to keep payroll up, I guess.

Marty said...

I totally agree with you, Jen. (Particularly about the stupid, jumpsuit-clad Labatt bimbos!)

Seriously, I thought throwing the first pitch was an honor that should go to the President or an award-winner of some kind. Guess not anymore ...