Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Quarantine

Vicente Padilla of the Texas Rangers has a confirmed case of novel H1N1 influenza (swine flu). I ask you this: should we be playing the Rangers right now? That would be a resounding no. This series should have been postponed until such a time as the Rangers team is no longer infectious with a strain of influenza for which a vaccine is not yet available. I don't want the roster decimated, and our season endangered so needlessly. Samara over at Roar of the Tigers already warned us about ballplayers' personal habits, so I hope there are hand hygiene posters prominently displayed in the dugout, along with bucket-sized containers of hand sanitizer stationed every two feet.

Ok, health issues aside, last night's game was a veritable minefield for those of us attempting to avoid binge eating, drinking and other self-medicating behaviors. I'll tell you this, I was not successful. I was devouring everything in sight, and scouring the pantry for scraps of chocolate. Between Miguel Cabrera's whiff with the bases loaded, and the double error on Michael Young's single, I am now ready to become the next Jenny Craig spokesperson. Thanks for that Tigers, it's great that I now need to spend 3.5 hours working out today. Can I come over and use the equipment at Comerica?

I don't know about you, but I'm starting to feel stress over Friday's trade deadline. We're in a difficult spot here. We don't have a system flush with prospects, and we're stuck with a lot of bad contracts. Not exactly a good negotiating position. Sigh. More chocolate.




No comments: