Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Grandy's Three Bagger

Curtis Granderson legged out a triple in the All Star game Tuesday night. It was a thing of beauty. A thing I've missed seeing this season. He's only got two of them so far. Two? Really? That's all? Also, he's logged only nine doubles so far.

Now, I'm not complaining about Grandy's 18 homers, but I'd like to see some more of those doubles and triples in the second half of the season. I'm not sure whether I'm alone in this wish, but I'd take the Grandy of the past couple years over the more powerful version exhibited so far this year.

He is on pace for more walks and RBIs, but also on pace for more strikeouts, and a lower on base percentage, slugging percentage and on base plus slugging.

With Curtis' defense, I have no quibble. He's come off a down year defensively and turned it up. Highlighted by the night he robbed Grady Sizemore of a game-winning home run, Curtis has flashed leather quite impressively this season.

So, while I hate to bring down any negativity whatsoever on our All Star center fielder, I simply wish for more of his former self.

No comments: