Friday, February 13, 2009

Pitchers and Catchers and Tigers, Oh My!

It doesn't feel much like Spring here in Michigan--mid-30s and very gray out--but let me tell you, Spring seems much more in reach now that pitchers and catchers have officially reported to the TigerTown complex in Lakeland.  I've been watching the count-down on the Tigers web site every day, seeing the number dwindle slowly, my excitement building as the number went down below 7 days.

Now, I'm not even going to Spring Training, but believe me, I've vowed to plan a trip for Spring Training 2010 after enduring this Michigan winter.  I'm still excited to see photos and articles coming out of Spring Training.  It's nice to see Jim Leyland all chomping at the bit, raring to get out of the gate.  I'm thrilled that Joel Zumaya wants to compete for that closer's spot.  It seems like there's more competitiveness and motivation this year--I hope that's true.  Guys really do seem like they might just be in the "best shape of their lives" this year.  I'm banking on a real hunger to get back to the playoffs.  You can't tell me these guys were satisfied to make it all the way to the Series in '06, only to get humiliated by all the errors, lack of hitting (except for Sean Casey), etc.

We've got a tough road ahead of us, with the Indians and Twinkies favored to finish in front of us in the division, but hope springs eternal that we're up to the challenge--out to prove to the world that we're not the team of 2008, the team that could be the biggest bust in Michigan sports history.  The team that broke the hearts of many a fan in that wretched wreck of a season.

I've got spirit, how 'bout you?

No comments: