Wednesday, February 25, 2009

It's About Time

Not that anyone's noticed, but it seems like an eternity since I've posted here.  In reality, it's been almost two weeks.  I had to go a few rounds with a trio of opponents:  influenza, a sinus infection and bronchitis.  It was good fun I tell you.  Enough of that.

I've been mulling a post for a few days actually, and having some difficulty coming up with something meaningful.  Here's the thing.   You'd think there'd be a lot to talk about with Spring Training in full swing, the first game today and whatnot.  

But really, what of substance can be taken from what's transpired so far?  I mean, I'm glad Nate, Dontrelle and Joel look great, I really am, but there are no conclusions to be drawn as yet.

I am happy about one thing of significance.  Our infield will get uninterrupted reps together this spring--none of them are going to the WBC.  Inge, Everett and Polanco will get to know each other's moves, style, timing, etc.  That is a very good thing in my mind.   That time together should add to what is already a defensive upgrade.

I caught all of one inning or so on the radio today, and it was great to hear play by play again, even if it was only a meaningless spring game.  Remember how well the Lions did in their exhibition this year?

Also interesting will be competition for the sole open position player slot.  Game on, ballplayers!

No comments: