Sunday, May 23, 2010

You Can't Stand There Like a House By the Side of the Road!

Brandon Inge.

He probably won player of the game last night, even though he ended the game by striking out LOOKING with runners on second and third. I'm sorry, but that is unacceptable. It deserves a serious penalty, like being forced to dress skin ulcers on a hospital ward full of diabetics. I cannot stomach striking out looking to end the game. I don't care if you weren't ready for the pitch selection, put an awkward swing on it. That would be infinitely better than getting rung up by the home place umpire, and walking away looking and feeling like the idiot you are.

Last year, Brandon was 2nd in the AL with 170 strikeouts. I wish I knew how many of those were game-ending. Actually, you know what? I have to find out. I'm going to look at all the game logs from Baseball Reference for 2009 and 2010.

Drumroll, please.

In losses during 2009, Brandon Inge:

Struck out looking in the 9th three times.

Struck out swinging in the 9th eight times.

Struck out swinging to end the game three times.

In losses during 2010, Brandon Inge:

Struck out looking to end the game once. (Yes, the agony is fresh in our minds.)

Struck out swinging to end the game twice.

Struck out swinging in the 9th twice.

Yes, folks, that's your player of the game. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this. I haven't laughed this hard in quite some time.

John Sharp said...

I'm a Brandon Inge fan, but I agree...swing the darn bat for goodness sake.!!