Saturday, February 19, 2011

When Real Life Intrudes

When I received a text early on Thursday morning from someone who I call "vampire," I should have known something was wrong. My immediate reaction was denial. No. NO. NOOOOOOOOOOO. Then I starting feeling worried. About Miggy, about his family. I'm a worrier sometimes. I try not to be. It's not a productive activity. But sometimes, it can't be helped. Then I thought about the potential impact on our season. When I read the police report, things got worse. Every new revelation just sent me spiraling ever downward. Drinking in front of an officer, non-violent resisting arrest, repeated wandering into the road (into traffic??)...sigh.

Luckily, I had a lot going on, so I was able to avoid hearing all the analysis, hash, rehash, pundits, idiots, etc. I have not listened to a moment of talk radio since this happened. Toxic. I've read a lot of pontificating, and a few thoughtful takes. To me, the most important thing is to just wait. That's why I'm just now writing word one on this topic, and I still don't have much to say.

Mostly, I just want Miguel to be okay. I hope he doesn't have a serious problem. He may not. He may just be a dude who can't handle his liquor. His trainer doesn't think he could have been hitting the bottle this off-season due to their intense, daily outdoor workouts in sweltering heat. Miggy could not have performed during those workouts if he were hung over. That's encouraging to hear. I hope he's right.

This whole things just serves as a check to me. It checks my "baseball is everything" mentality. Clearly, baseball is NOT everything. It's a lot, don't get me wrong. But sometimes, I lose sight of real life when I'm just wrapped up in how many games out of first we are, who's pitching today, who's on the DL, what relief pitchers are available, who's in a slump....

Miguel, if I could say one thing to you, I would tell you that I support you. I don't just like you because you hit opposite field home runs that look like they might never come back to earth. I just want you to be healthy and happy. Don't let baseball be the weight of the world on your shoulders. Don't try to fulfill a million fans' expectations. Just live your life. Enjoy being on the field with your teammates. Play with your little girls. The rest will take care of itself.


No comments: