Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Way of the Ostrich

After yesterday's devastating 4-3 loss to the Braves, in which the game-tying run was denied due to yet another blown call by an umpire, I had no choice but to shove the whole thing squarely out of mind. If I hadn't, things would have gotten ugly. I'm not sure exactly how the horror show would have taken shape, but it might have involved me digging up worms from the back yard to play sous-chef with a hefty kitchen knife. Of course, if I had been thinking, I could have channelled that anger into some much needed eyebrow plucking, but I'm not sure inflicting more pain would have been the wisest move anyway.

As it was, I clicked off the TV, strode out the door, and calmly drove away to run an errand (not slamming the door on my way out, and not listening to the post-game show with Dan and Jim on the radio). Not quite sure how I did that, but I am proud of myself for not turning green, growing steroid-y Hulk muscles and shredding everything in my path.

To be fair, some of the frustration with yesterday's loss has to do with not playing well on the road, and not playing well against top-tier teams. It doesn't sit well, you know? It breeds unease. The mind fast-forwards to the end of the season, and has waking nightmares of not making the playoffs AGAIN.

Rumors of the Twins pushing hard for Cliff Lee only serve to set the mind whirling on a crazed carousel filled with Twinkies and White Sox, which always manage to stay one step ahead of the Tigers. Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik helped me stay out of Bellevue Hospital a while longer and traded for Russell Branyon, stating to MLB Fanhouse:

"The message we are trying to send is that we are trying to win as many games as possible. Right now [Lee] is part of this club. What happens down the road, we'll have to see.''

I realize that the Mariners are in last place, 14.5 games out of first. Lee may well be traded for the third time in as many years. It may be a probability. Still, I cling to the shred of hope that they are playing better and trying to win games, not scheduling an immediate fire sale. Believe me, I know it's stupid, but I'm committed to way of the ostrich.

No comments: