Friday, May 15, 2009

Save Some for Tomorrow

Hey, I like scoring a truck-load of runs as much as the next guy.  Could it be said that two grand slams in one game is a little greedy?  Perhaps.  We haven't done it since 1968, when Jim Northrup hit both!  

What I don't like is getting skunked the following game.  I've seen the Tigers do that a couple times in the past.  Let's avoid that scenario tomorrow, could we?

Ryan Raburn must have heard me bad-mouthing him moments before he knocked in four runs with one swing of the bat.  I said something about him probably belonging down in AAA.  This comment was based partly on his sub .100 batting average, and partly on several fielding mishaps (read disasters) that have occurred in his limited playing time with the big club this year.   Well, you've shut my mouth (for now).  Very nicely done.

Brandon Inge, also oft-maligned by yours truly, decides to silence my criticism as well.  I'm happy to give credit where it's due.  The power certainly seems on the increase for Mr. "Inge-credible" this year.

Edwin Jackson's ERA now stands at 2.42, and he walked NOONE.   He averaged 4 walks per 9 last year.  His WHIP is down to 1.07.  Hmmm, I'm tempted to heap lavish praise on him right about now.  Last time I did that, it seemed a little over the top.  I'll just say, I'm pleased to say Edwin Jackson is wearing the Old English D.

Magglio Ordóñez defies the doom and gloom-ers who insist he's on a serious decline, and goes 3-3 with a walk and two RBIs.

Young Luke French comes into a nice low-pressure situation, spotted 13 runs, and gets a 1-2-3 9th inning.

Just a feel good night. 



No comments: