Friday, April 30, 2010

Witness

When I read on the Tigers website that Magglio Ordóñez was one hit shy of 2000 going into Thursday's day game against the Twinks, I was thrilled. I was going to be at that game, and I smelled my shot at seeing My Tiger hit the milestone. Even better, my seats for the game were in the front row in right field, so I could give proper acknowledgment to the feat, should it occur.

Somehow, fate has decided to befriend me. I was at the game in August 2008, when Magglio hit two home runs in one inning. This time, I was fortunate enough to see Magglio get knock 2000 and 2001, a single and a double. Both were indisputable hits, something Ordóñez himself alluded to before the game. He didn't want hit 2000 to be an infield single that could arguably have been ruled an error or some such thing.

Well, he got himself a couple no-doubters, and I was thrilled. Our whole section gave a standing ovation when Magglio came out to the field in the next half inning. He looked so modest, almost blushing, and giving just the smallest hint of a smile.

Acknowledging afterward the significance of his feat (he's only the sixth Venezuelan born player to log 2000 hits), Magglio seemed calmly pleased. I guess I jumped, shouted and clapped enough for both of us.

Dontrelle Willis pitched really well, I mean really well, not just for him, but for a starting pitcher. He allowed no runs, four hits, two walks, over 101 pitches through six innings, and no baserunner advanced past second base. I realize that the absence of the M & M boys puts a little bit of a qualifier to this start, but I'll take it, really, I'll take it any day of the week. Some of our other starters would do well to emulate his final line. Who'd have thought we'd be saying THAT at the end of April? I thought more than likely Armando Galarraga would have been called up by now to own the truth.

Carl Pavano, while going the distance in most economical fashion, was not able to toss 8 scoreless frames, so we came out winners of the game and the series. HOOORAY! I hate losing to the Twins, even more than usual after last year's game 163.

Now, Angels come into town for a redux of our series just over a week ago. Eat 'em up Tigers, eat 'em up!


No comments: